- Family Law
- Cohabitational Breakdown and Divorce
- Money and Property
- Islamic Law
Working in a way that best suits you
So as to keep costs down I aim to support women by advising and guiding them through their specific legal issues by way of having a legal expert on side. Where necessary, the actual application/claim/petition is submitted by the client herself (as a litigant in person). All courts recognise the right of parties to represent themselves in a case involving them, however being aware of the common pitfalls and difficulties faced by those who are unfamiliar with the court system I will endeavour to cover every aspect of the procedure and explain the relevant laws to you. By way of example, looking at financial remedy post divorce, we have a jurisdiction that recognises that every family is different and, accordingly, has given the courts a wide discretion when dealing with financial remedy following divorce. The court is mandated to achieve ‘fairness’ between the parties both with respect to capital settlements and with respect to payments of maintenance. This cannot always be achieved with a set formula or easy definitions of what are matrimonial assets hence the need for the guidance and advice which I can provide.
To find out more and discuss any questions you might have please contact me.
- I, Camilla Choudhury – Khawaja was called to the Bar in 1998, I hold a current dual capacity practising certificate in both self employed and employed practice as a Barrister of England and Wales. I am registered with the Bar Standards Board under this name.
- I charge £350 per hour plus VAT, I practice law predominantly in the field of money/financial cases also known as ancillary relief post marital breakdown and TOLATA i.e post cohabitational breakdown, I also do Children Act Proceedings if so required.
- By way of an indication only I charge £8750 plus VAT for the first stage in a financial relief claim i.e. Form A to the First Appointment, I shall assist with completion of the Form A and E and prepare all the Practice Direction documents ahead of the First Appointment and represent at the same within the aforementioned fee. (If an application is made by the intervenors, then this preliminary matter may need to be decided by the court, this will be charged separately to the above fee).
- I charge the same i.e. £8750 plus VAT for all works between the First Appointment and Hearing 2 which is known as the FDR and finally, depending again upon the complexity and duration of the matter/hearing, in the region of £10,500 plus VAT from FDR to Final Hearing (of 1 day duration). This fee includes addressing updating disclosure, s25 witness statement preparation and exchange, formal offers and preparation and representation at the trial. If matters are concluded by agreement at any stage of the proceedings my fee to prepare the Consent Order is fixed at 10 hours of work.
- Please note these are fees quoted on the basis I am being instructed in the absence of a solicitor and on the basis the total marital/cohabitational assets are less than £300,000 in total, where assets exceed £300,000 please let me know as this may affect the above fees. The above fees are an indication only, please refer to my email to yourself as to the specifics of our agreement as to fees payable.
- If you wish to instruct me on a Direct Access basis, you may wish to review the Bar Standards Board Public Access Guidance for Lay Clients.